Have you finally decided on a paint color for that bedroom you have wanted to update for some time? You must be ready for the next step, painting! Here are some tips to make painting a little bit easier.
- Clean the walls. With a damp sponge, brush off all cobwebs or dirt that may have accumulated over the years. Be sure to get the entire wall and the trim. Make sure the areas are completely dry before starting the next step.
- Tape the area so you do not get paint on the trim. Use a high quality painter’s tape so that it does not peel up the existing paint.
- Prime the area. Even if there is already color on the walls, using a primer can prolong the life of the paint you are going to use.
- Paint the edges of the walls with a paintbrush. Paint about 2 inches to give your roller a bit of fudging room.
- Using the “W” method of painting, paint your walls one at a time. Using a roller, start at the top left and make a W shape without lifting the roller. Continue this way for the whole wall to prevent streaking.
- Take the tape off the trim before the paint dries so it does not lift any of the paint.
Painting a room does not have to be a daunting task. Once you get started, you will fall right into step. Before you know it, your bedroom will look brand new and you will be itching to start on the next room, but please do not forget about safety when painting. Make sure the room is well ventilated and that you do not have any tripping hazards about. And of course, make sure your homeowner’s insurance is up to date so that you will be covered for any mishaps that may happen during your painting party!