Texas ranked #7 on the list of Top 10 States for Dog Bite Insurance Claims with the average cost of each insurance claim at approximately $19,339. This week is National Dog Bite Prevention Week. The CDC estimates that 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year and nearly 57 million households own a dog. While most of us would like to think that our pups wouldn’t bite a human, the likelihood may be slightly higher than you think.
It is for this very reason that we advise our insurance clients who are also dog owners to have Personal Liability Insurance in addition to their homeowners policy. Even the most gentle dog can become aggressive under certain circumstances. What can you do to prevent your dog from biting?
- Supervise your dog while with children
- Socialize your dog with people and other dogs – dog park, walks, etc.
- If visitors are near while your dog is eating or chewing, discourage them from interacting
- Make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise
- Choose non-aggressive games to play with your dog
In addition to putting these tips into practice, discuss Personal Liability Insurance with your insurance agent. Not only is it the right thing to do for those around you, but to protect your family as well.