This week we celebrate Earth Day which is the celebration of the world we live in and the nature that surrounds us. You can celebrate by attending local events or just getting back to nature in your own way. There are a few things you can do at home that can have a major impact on our environment. One of the easiest things you can do is to switch from paper napkins to cloth napkins at home. To get the greenest experience out of the switch, here are some tips:
- It may be hard to get out of the habit of tossing your napkin after just one use. But the truth is your napkin is probably not dirty after every meal. Force yourself into the habit of washing the cloth napkins only when they are actually soiled.
- Give every member in your family a designated spot to keep their napkins when they are in use. The Mother Nature Network suggests assigning each family member a napkin ring to keep his or her napkin in until it is ready for the laundry.
- There is no need to wash the napkins separately from other laundry. Just toss them in when you have another load going.
- Use cold water and eco-friendly laundry detergent.
- Skip the dryer and hang your napkins out when the weather is right. In fact, you can even just hang the napkins on the back of your kitchen chairs to dry. They do not take very long to dry.
Switching to cloth napkins is something you can feel good about doing on Earth Day and every day. If you are looking for other green home improvements you can make to lessen your carbon footprint, check with your local home improvement store. Then give us a call to see if your homeowner’s insurance will also be affected by your green changes.