Roberta Rylander was the daughter of Katy’s first pharmacist. She graduated as Katy High School’s Salutatorian in 1936 and went on to earn her degree from the University of Texas. In 1943 she married Fred Rylander and after a few years in Miami, the couple returned to Katy to raise their two children in 1951.
Upon returning to Katy, Roberta immediately became actively involved in volunteering within the community in such organizations as the Katy Literary Club and Methodist Church.
During this time she began to grow more interested in the preservation of Katy history to the extent that with the aid of a few others, formed the Katy Heritage Society.
Roberta and her family contributed their own homestead to the Katy Heritage Society in 1991. “The Wright House” is currently located in Katy’s Heritage Park and houses many local treasures. Through both monetary and volunteer contributions, Roberta was instrumental in the preservation of several Katy landmarks.
Because of the impact that Roberta Rylander had on the Katy community over the last several decades, Roberta Rylander Elementary was dedicated as her namesake in 2004.
Through her ceaseless efforts to better our community, Roberta Rylander has left a legacy that will benefit generations to come. We are grateful to have had such a woman of character, resolve and foresight as a leader within the Katy community.