According to the forecast, those of us in the Houston Area will be getting quite a bit of rain over the next few days. Just a few reminders for our Houston insurance clients and friends about the dangers of flash flooding.
Surprisingly, flash flooding is the number one weather-related killer in the United States. Those of us in the community of Seven Meadows in Katy, Texas remember a flash flood that happened rapidly during the winter of 2012 and left many Katy homeowners’ with unexpected flood damage.
Here are a few things to remember about flash floods as we approach this week’s forecast.
- Don’t risk driving through flooded roads. It takes just two feet of floodwater to easily carry away a vehicle.
- Do not attempt to walk across running streams of water. You may find yourself surprised by the power that a swift current can have.
- Just one inch of water can cause quite devastating damage to your property.
- Changes in nearby property such as new development can increase your risk for flooding.
- If you come in contact with setting floodwater, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly with soap and clean water.
While it’s on your mind, this is also a good time to call your insurance agent to find out if you have flood insurance. Remember, flood insurance is not included on a homeowners policy. It must be purchased separately. Although it takes 30 days for a flood policy to be in effect, you may find yourself in a similar situation down the road and wish you had taken care of it now.
We hope you all stay safe and dry this week!