On Monday, October 29th Gary Glenn Lay will be deploying to Afghanistan. This will be his first deployment as part of his service to our country and the United States Army. Not only is Gary Glenn from our community, he is also the oldest son of our Customer Service Manager, Tracy Wiederkehr.
Dagley Insurance & Financial Services will be adopting Gary Glenn’s Platoon for Christmas. Many like Gary Glenn will be receiving care packages from family members, but there are also many who of our Nation’s servicemen who receive very little from home. Not only are these items that they desperately need, but it’s also a reminder that there are many back home who are thankful for their service.
Some of the items on the list below are specifically requested. These guys are out on mission for several days at a time with very little sleep and often must go without showering for several days. Many of the items requested are centered around hygiene as well as those to keep both their energy and spirits lifted.
- Snack Foods (no chocolate – will melt in the heat)
- Beef jerky or summer sausage
- Pringles cans – Tracy, his Mom will be baking homemade cookies and packing them in these cans.
- Gum – spearmint flavored
- Protein bars – especially Clif Bars
- Monster Energy Drinks
- 5-Hr. Energy Drinks
- Tuna in pouches
- Quality razors such as Mach 3 – although more expensive, these last longer and work well when shaving in a hurry with lukewarm or no water and in little light.
- Quality toothbrushes
- Dental floss
- Dr. Scholl’s odor-eating inserts
- Foot powder
- Unscented baby wipes/Wet Ones
- Unscented hand lotion
- Cotton or wool work socks – olive brown, black or khaki
- Eye drops
- Toe nail/fingernail clippers
- Pumice stones for feet
- Tooth picks
- Ziploc bags
- Puzzle or wordfind books like Suduko
- Playing cards
- Poker set
- Nerf balls
- Sewing kits
- Small book light for reading at night
- Dartboard with darts
You may drop any of these items off at any Dagley Office location before November 17, 2012. We will be mailing these care packages to the Platoon before Thanksgiving.
Our prayers will be with Gary and his Platoon. We will be sharing updates on Gary from time-to-time on this blog so please check back. If they have any specific needs, we’ll be posting them here.