At Dagley Insurance, July Fourth is one of our favorite times of the year. It’s a chance to celebrate the freedoms on which our country was founded with our friends and family. However, as a Texas Insurance Agency we’re always on the lookout for safety hazards that could affect our clients and fireworks can pose a huge a risk.
Thousands of children and teens are injured each year from fireworks. In fact, the risk of fireworks injury is highest for children ages 5-14 years. Before your family celebrates with fireworks, here are a few things you need to know:
- Always purchase from a reliable vendor.
- Check for combustible material before choosing the shooting location.
- Always have a water source nearby and ready to go.
- If a firework doesn’t work, do not try to light again.
- Make sure no part of the body is over the fireworks while lighting.
- Light one firework at a time.
- Make sure kids do not pick up firework pieces afterward.
- Soak fireworks in a bucket of water before disposing of them in a trashcan.
We want you and your family to have fun, but as your insurance agency and part of your community most importantly we want you to be safe. Discuss these tips with your kids before the celebrations begin; especially if your child will be celebrating the Fourth away from your family. We know that the Fourth of July just wouldn’t be the same without a little fireworks celebration so celebrate safely!