Today’s guest post is from our Dagley Insurance Partner, Jane Moughon, CEO of Direction for Teens and Young Adults.
The summer break officially begins tomorrow for all KISD students. While many students’ first thought is to hit the pool, there are those that will be entering the workforce for the first time. Who doesn’t remember their first job? The work experiences we learn as teens often set the pattern for how we view our work into adulthood.
Today, I would like to share a few interviewing tips and techniques. Afterall, they’ve got to land the job first!
Before the interview:
- Research the position and company in advance.
- Bring 3-4 clean copies of your resume in a new clean file folder with you in case they ask for an additional copy.
- Take a nice clean notebook in order to take notes.
- Make sure you clothes are clean and pressed; wear business casual.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before the interview.
During the interview:
- Shake hands firmly.
- Make eye contact at all times.
- Have good posture and sit up straight.
- Take down the interviewers name, number and email address in your notebook.
- Answer questions slowly, distinctly and clearly.
- Show enthusiasm for the job.
- Ask questions about position responsibilities, work schedule, who you will be working with, what department and expectations from your potential employer.
- Express that you are hardworking, dependable, responsible, have a positive attitude to get the job done and then be that!
After the interview:
- Follow up by sending an email or thank you note, thanking him or her for the opportunity and expressing again your interest in the job.
- No flip flops, shorts or bare shoulders.
- No texting or taking calls.
- No slouching.
- Do not mumble your answers.
- No distractions of any kind.
- Don’t talk badly about other jobs or co-workers.
Pass these tips along to your teen before they head out the door for the interview. They will find that these skills will be useful for interviewing as a teen and later on as an adult.
Best of luck!
Jane Moughon and Directions for Success will hold a training session entitled “Your Summer Job” at the Dagley Corporate Office. Session will teach students how to write an effective resume, interview well and how to carry out a fruitful job search.
“Your Summer Job”
Tuesday, June 5th – 9:30 – 10:45 AM
Saturday, June 9th – 9:30 – 10:45 AM
Cost: $20 cash at registration
Only 30 seats available!
Reserve your space by texting “RSVP Tuesday” or “RSVP Saturday” with your name to 832-455-4579.