Every year the Texas Division of Emergency Management, the National Weather Service, Emergency Management Coordinators and officials within the local jurisdictions join forces to recognize Hurricane Preparedness Week.
According to the Old River-Winfree Community News Blog, this year’s events are set to take place from May 22 through May 28, 2011.
The week acts as an incredible opportunity to build public awareness and reminds residents living in evacuation zones to learn their evacuation routes in advance, before a storm strikes. Being fully prepared for hurricane season is especially critical for coastal Texans—since damages are still being taken care of from previous storms like Hurricane Ike—acting as a unfortunate reminder of how powerful these seasonal storms can get.
Hurricane Preparedness Week is also meant to encourage the general public to double check and re-stock their emergency supply kits. According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, emergency preparedness supplies should include:
- First Aid Kit; including prescription medications, eyeglasses, copies of prescriptions, hearing aids, batteries, other special medical items
- Important documents and records, photo IDs, proof of residence, information to process insurance claims
- Credit cards and cash (in the event that the power is out, banks & ATMs may not be available)
- Battery-operated radio, NOAA Weather Radio and extra batteries
- Road maps, travel plans
- 3-day supply of non-perishable food, one gallon of bottled water per person per day
- Manual can opener, knife, tools, fire extinguisher, flashlight, duct tape, tools, etc.
- Extra keys
- Blankets, pillows, extra clothing, etc.
- Toilet paper, personal hygiene products
- And more…
Hurricane Preparedness Week is a wonderful resource for all Texans who may have questions about how they can best prepare for hurricane season and the potential for devastating storms. If you have further questions about how you can protect yourself, your property and inevitable help safeguard your future, please do not hesitate to contact Dagley Insurance & Financial Services; we’d be happy to help!