After a hectic winter many of us have been eagerly awaiting that perfect spring day. But those warm sunny days will also bring with them the onset of hurricane season—a wet, rainy season which includes a slew of problems all on its own.
Recognizing the first signs of water damage is the best way to prevent further problems— precisely why we at Dagley Insurance and Financial Services have put together a helpful list of signs you should be aware of and common causes of water damage:
1. Surface water running down primary foundation walls.
2. Broken pipes & hoses—check for burst water mains, old pipes or even ice makers that fail—all can lead to significant water damage if not remedied.
3. Common household accidents—this includes overflowing bathtubs, broken toilets, etc.
4. Flash flooding or excessive rain
5. Sewer back up—commonly results from tree roots and debris that clogs drain lines.
6. Notorious Texas hailstorms can also cause leaky roofs and windows
7. This time of the year, air conditioning systems in the attic may leak as well; now that they have been turned on and are running at full capacity, be sure to check for any inefficiencies
Being aware and proactively checking for these typical causes of water damage and leaking can help you prevent damages to not only your home but also your electronics and personal possessions.
As a Texas homeowner, there are many things you can do to combat household water damage. Always remember to keep your gutters free of leaves and other seasonal debris. Create a maintenance plan for yourself to ensure that you keep up-to-date on your landscaping—trimming surrounding shrubbery can help to eliminate clogged gutters and drain lines. Also be sure to periodically check your appliances—your shower, sink, toilet and refrigerator are all common violators that can cause water damage.
Already fell victim to water damage? Need help cleaning up after significant water issues? Why not check out our Preferred Partners Page for great local deals on home restoration and clean-up services.